a: There's No Place Like Home (Click Your Heels Together 3 Times): Inside Sioux's Inner Sanctum

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 AgentModX

AgentModX

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 3,206 posts

Posted 07 September 2017 - 09:09 AM

Everyone's writing space is different. Some writers prefer boring spots with unadorned walls to lessen the distractions. Because our house is so incredibly tiny, my space doubles as a spare bedroom. And since I don't like anything that's bland and boring, I've enjoyed filling the room with personal touches.

And since most of you don't live in the St. Louis area, I thought I'd give you a quick tour of my writing space.

This is a painting done by my father. He never did anything artistic until he was in the middle stages of Alzheimer's. He went to a day program once a week--the only break my mom got--and they sometimes had a guest painter come in and paint with the clients. I know he got a little help with it, but I cherish it. The colors remind me of Monet...

The so-soft flannel quilt on the desk chair is important because it was made by a writer in my writing critique group--Lynn Obermoeller--and since it was made by a writer I admire, I think every stitch is infused with positive writing mojo. (Quilters believe in wrapping up in a quilt they've made before gifting it to someone, to fill it with peace and love. If I could only take writing as seriously as Lynn does... Perhaps the quilt will help?)  

This is a framed print of a poem by Shay Simmons--written just for me. (It was a blog contest, and I won.) I adore the poem because it speaks of the power of writing. I treasure it so much, I found a special frame, decorated the border, and it hangs in a prominent spot.

This is a stack of anthologies which I'm published in. The taller the tower represents--for me--the big mountain I still dream of climbing: a published novel.

I bought this years ago at a craft fair. As soon as I saw it, it was love at first sight. It's made from an old oil drum and (if you can't tell from my horrid photographic skills) is a pig with wings. When pigs fly... that's when I'll snag a publishing deal. (I'm still working on getting it hung from the ceiling.)

This is a framed check from my first paid writing gig. It was a whopping $10. The publisher probably laughed her butt off when I asked if they'd send me two checks. I wanted to frame one (I promised her I wouldn't cash it), but I ended up just making a color copy of the check. It was many years ago, and I still make mere tiny trickles of money from writing, but that framed check reminds me exactly when I first had the courage to submit...

I'd show you the view out the window, but it ain't particularly pretty. A maple tree that has covered our yard with sweet gum balls. An old chain link fence. A shed that needs hosing off. I don't make a habit of staring out the window when I take a break from writing, but I do glance around me... and I'm inspired and comforted by what I see.

What is your writing space like? What sentimental treasures do you surround yourself with? I'd love to hear about them...

Sioux Roslawski is a middle-school teacher, a teacher-consultant for the Gateway Writing Project, a Chicken Soup for the Soul writer, an aspiring novelist, a wife, mother and grammy, along with a rescuer of dogs. In the time she has outside of her classroom she knits, serves on the board of Love a Golden Rescue, and dreams of a way she can lose weight and still eat chocolate. If you'd like to read more, check out Sioux's blog.   

View the full article

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users